There are many diseases that doctors even don’t know why they occur, and ALS is one. ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. It is a progressive nervous system disease that affects several significant parts of the body, such as the brain’s spinal cord and nerve cells. As a result, the patient gradually loses control over their muscular functioning.
ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Lou Gehrig is a well-known baseball player and was diagnosed with what is now known as ALS. At that time, the doctors did not have an answer for what was happening to him. Some were of the opinion that it is an inherited disease.
According to research, ALS starts with slurred speech, limb weakness, and twitching in the muscles. Control over important muscles is affected by ALS. The patient faces problems while moving, speaking, eating, and even taking a breath. As of now, there is no cure for this inevitably fatal disease.
If we talk about the symptoms of ALS, it varies from person to person. It depends upon the neurons that are affected. There are different symptoms and signs that ALS patients can face. We have included some of them here.
- The ALS patient might face difficulties while walking. Moreover, the patient will be unable to do normal regular activities properly.
- The patients will face frequent falling and tripping.
- ALS patients will face severe weakness in the ankles, feet, and legs.
- Clumsiness and hand weakness are some other significant symptoms of ALS.
- Trouble swallowing and slurred speech.
- Some face muscle cramps and twitching in the shoulders, tongue, and arms.
- Inappropriate laughing, yawning, and crying.
- Behavioral and cognitive can also be seen.
ALS hampers the nerve cells, and the person gradually loses control over their muscular movements. The person faces problems while talking and walking. It happens because the motor neurons are deeply affected by ALS. Motor neurons are essential as it extends from the brain to the spinal cord. If your motor neurons are hampered or damaged, your mind will not be able to send messages to the muscles. As a result, the muscles cannot function properly.